Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The bluish-black or red berry of the elder, used especially for making jelly or wine.
- ‘Sugar was being added and elderberry juice being used to give colour to poor, overstretched wines.’
- ‘Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.’
- ‘There are no confirmed drug interactions with elderberry extract.’
- ‘There were also dried berries, possibly elderberries and blueberries, and a type of root.’
- ‘An elderberry syrup over a handmade ice cream makes for a luxurious desert, too.’
- ‘Individual breweries add such esoteric ingredients as coriander, thyme, lemongrass, figs, bananas or elderberries to give their products a unique flavour.’
- ‘Elderberry extracts are generally without side effects when taken in the suggested dosages.’
- ‘The most familiar use of the elder tree is probably that of the berries being cooked to make elderberry wine and various jams and jellies.’
- ‘As a dietary supplement, " high anthocyanin " elderberry extracts are finding their way onto health-food stores shelves.’
- ‘Elderberry wine, which is alcoholic, is a traditional country product.’
- 1.1An elder tree or shrub.
- ‘Prominent shrubs are swamp dogwood and elderberry.’
- ‘I'm not a home brewer or wine-maker but as I gaze upon my elderberry tree, laden with blossoms and fruit, I am inspired to give it a go.’
- ‘We have the elderberry trees on our farm entirely by accident.’
- ‘‘We have elderberry and Nanking cherry bushes, apple and plum trees, hazelnut, walnut and butternut trees, and white pine,’ says Handeen.’
- ‘Red willow, arroyo willow, elderberry, and McDonald oak are present in the tree and shrub layers.’
- ‘Each bed is edged with overlapping hoops formed from small cuttings of apple, elderberry and pear trees.’
- ‘The adjacent habitat usually includes red alder, black elderberry, Scouler's willow, black cottonwood, red-osier dogwood, and yellow monkey flower.’
- ‘Sambuca, which taste of licorice like Pernod, is actually flavored with flowers of the elderberry bush.’
- ‘With the ponds there were lots of elderberry bushes and wild rose trees.’
- ‘Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.