One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is experienced and well-respected, especially a politician.
- ‘He was an elder statesman and father figure who carried a burden much greater than that of film star.’
- ‘Duncan Urquhart, at 32 the elder statesman of a youthful Scottish team, has yet to decide whether he'll continue after Melbourne.’
- ‘He would perform his role as an elder statesman while continuing to serve the party and the government, the party officials said.’
- ‘I try to model myself on the elder statesman of Maori in this House, and to follow the way he performs.’
- ‘I like being the elder statesman and the committee is almost entirely new and enthusiastic.’
- ‘His is presumably a view of the outsider looking in-now a declared political observer, an elder statesman and senior citizen.’
- ‘The 31-year-old is an elder statesman of the Celtic squad, in age, experience and achievement.’
- ‘Sounding more like an elder statesman than a business executive, Miyauchi is definitive.’
- ‘The chancellorship of the duchy of Lancaster has been used in recent centuries as a supernumerary post, often in the cabinet, for an elder statesman.’
- ‘An elder statesman of the Premiership now, and the league's top goalscorer, at 33 he's still approaching the top of the goalscoring charts.’
- ‘‘It's hard to believe I'm the elder statesman,’ said Hogarth who is in the best form of his comeback season.’
- ‘He is the elder statesman on an up-and-coming Baltimore team.’
- ‘Kohl, after all, let's recall, was a much-revered elder statesman of the country.’
- ‘He carried on in this function as a Special Representative of the EU, while remaining influential in Spanish politics as an elder statesman.’
- ‘By 1914 Hardie was the revered elder statesman of the party.’
- ‘Both are politically conservative Republican elder statesmen.’
- ‘The conflicts of the time have been forgotten as this embittered old man has been apotheosised into an elder statesman.’
- ‘Harrison enjoyed productive years as ex-president and became a respected elder statesman.’
- ‘He returned to politics in 1981 as a Republican elder statesman.’
- ‘And just when it looked like the elder statesman has received every possible award, yet another one popped up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.