One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Hard physical work, especially vigorous polishing or cleaning.‘you should be able to get the rust off with a wire brush and elbow grease’
hard work, work, labour, toil, exertion, effort, slog, drudgeryView synonyms
- ‘You can buy all the fancy products you like, but you can never beat vinegar, newspaper and a bit of elbow grease.’
- ‘But hours of hard work and elbow grease transformed the shack into a bright, clean and well-stocked shop.’
- ‘This is where glamour is mixed with sweat and elbow grease, life lessons paired with blood.’
- ‘Inadvertently her success could lead some to assume that all one needs to make it out of the ghetto is determination, elbow grease and a perfect posterior.’
- ‘With lots of elbow grease and energy, she got the shop area renovated into a workable space and tried to keep the renovations true to the history of the building.’
- ‘With some hard work and elbow grease, the building was cleaned, painted, and filled with many shelves of books.’
- ‘Plenty of time, effort and elbow grease shall be committed to this task.’
- ‘Then, as if passing through some kind of barrier, there's nothing quite so important as the lavish application of elbow grease until my small kingdom is bright and sparkly again.’
- ‘We will be using a high-pressure hose reel and lots of elbow grease.’
- ‘As an alternative some elbow grease was applied to the kitchen leaving it sparkly and clean!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.