One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural or synthetic polymer having elastic properties, e.g. rubber.
- ‘Thermoplastic elastomers are currently the fastest reacting and most economical synthetic rubbers available.’
- ‘Unlike diene and saturated elastomers, thermoplastic elastomers are physically, rather than chemically, cross-linked.’
- ‘There are three classes of polymers - thermoplastics, thermosets, and elastomers.’
- ‘World consumption of natural rubber in 1996 was 6.13 million metric tons, corresponding to 39% of world consumption of all elastomers.’
- ‘More recently, surrounds have been made from polymer foam, synthetic elastomers, or polymer composites.’
1930s: from elastic + -mer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.