Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the force exerted upon a substance or body to the resultant deformation.
- ‘The advantage of the new approach is that the elastic modulus associated with shear waves varies greatly between different types of tissue.’
- ‘A linear statics analysis, for example, will require an elastic modulus, Poisson's ratio and perhaps a density for each material.’
- ‘But like the body waves, surface waves give ratios of elastic moduli to density.’
- ‘With this nanometer-scale indenter, a dynamic elastic modulus of 0.021 MPa was obtained.’
- ‘The instantaneous and equilibrium elastic moduli and the apparent viscosity of the cell were significantly decreased by hypoosmotic stress, but were unchanged by hyperosmotic stress.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.