Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum extent to which a solid may be stretched without permanent alteration of size or shape.
- ‘This test provides the elastic limit, elongation, yield point, yield strength, tensile strength, and the reduction in area.’
- ‘It sought to ascertain the elastic limit, or maximum stress that such materials could sustain without damage.’
- ‘It also did not increase as might be expected for an elastic polymer reaching its elastic limit.’
- ‘This means that provided the pipe is not bent beyond its elastic limit, it will return to its original shape after the bending force has been removed.’
- ‘A guitar string, when stretched within its elastic limits, obeys the wave equation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.