One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum extent to which a solid may be stretched without permanent alteration of size or shape.
- ‘This means that provided the pipe is not bent beyond its elastic limit, it will return to its original shape after the bending force has been removed.’
- ‘It sought to ascertain the elastic limit, or maximum stress that such materials could sustain without damage.’
- ‘A guitar string, when stretched within its elastic limits, obeys the wave equation.’
- ‘It also did not increase as might be expected for an elastic polymer reaching its elastic limit.’
- ‘This test provides the elastic limit, elongation, yield point, yield strength, tensile strength, and the reduction in area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.