A yellowish fiber composed chiefly of elastin and occurring in networks or sheets that give elasticity to tissues in the body.
- ‘The muscle layer becomes the dominant structure and is composed of smooth muscle and elastic fibers.’
- ‘Similarly, Yuan and colleagues reported that collagen and elastic fibers contribute to tissue elasticity during normal breathing.’
- ‘It has been demonstrated that lysozyme is increased in human pulmonary emphysema and preferentially binds to elastic fibers in the pulmonary parenchyma.’
- ‘The changes in tissue mechanics were accompanied by deposition of collagen and elastic fibers in the alveolar septa.’
- ‘The capsule and trabeculae are composed of collagen and elastic fibers and some smooth muscle fibers.’