One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spiral-horned African antelope that lives in open woodland and grassland. It is the largest of the antelopes.
Genus Taurotragus, family Bovidae: the giant eland (T. derbianus) and the common eland (T. oryx)
- ‘Shy bushbuck, kudu, eland, impala, and elephant all take their turn whilst buffalo and waterbuck make their way to the sandy banks of the Zambesi.’
- ‘Cantering herds of zebra, eland and roan antelope scatter then coalesce as we drone over them.’
- ‘Greater kudu, bushbuck and eland, the spiral-horned tribe of antelope approach watering points with caution because of lions which patronise these areas.’
- ‘They are typically graceful, having long legs and horns, and include the eland, wildebeest, gazelle, springbok, hartebeest, impala, etc.’
- ‘The women's tribe, the Moroyok, raised antelopes, including the eland, which the Maasai claim to have been the first species of cattle.’
- ‘Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.’
- ‘There are antelope species like eland, impala, puku, waterbuck, bushbuck and kudu whereas lion leopard, wild dog and hyaena are also present.’
- ‘Animals include duikers, eland and colobus, vervet and blue monkeys.’
- ‘Recent estimates suggest that there are more than 12,000 elephants, 3,000 Cape buffalo, 9,000 sable antelope, 3,000 elands, and a few hundred each of leopards, lions, and spotted hyena, among other animals.’
- ‘After a few weeks, the eland will be pregnancy tested - and the researchers will wait out the 11-month incubation period.’
- ‘In the dry season, July to November, the river is an excellent place for observing large numbers of game including lions, leopards, hunting dogs, giraffe, waterbuck, eland and warthogs.’
Late 18th century: via Afrikaans from Dutch, ‘elk’, from obsolete German Elend, from Lithuanian élnis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.