1An elevated railroad or section of railroad, especially that in Chicago.
- ‘Ive been riding the El nearly every day for about 17 months now.’
- ‘Sometimes riding the el at midnight takes one on a journey far deeper than merely underground.’
- 1.1 A train running on an elevated railroad.
- ‘Riding the El train will never be the same.’
- ‘Riding the el or train should is a nice option, however, the street should not be in this bad a condition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.