One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note having the time value of an eighth of a whole note or half a quarter note, represented by a large dot with a hooked stem.
- ‘Rarely does any one instrumentalist subdivide the rhythm beyond the equivalent of an eighth note of the main pulse.’
- ‘Prior to learning the notes, students need to tap and count the rhythm, incorporating all accents and dynamics, with the metronome set to the eighth note.’
- ‘Some passages do incorporate sixteenth notes and eighth notes with dotted quarters following.’
- ‘Half-way through the book there is a message that the eighth notes should be played as swinging eighths with the note on the beat longer and the note on the off-beat shorter.’
- ‘Two of the gardens, planted with flowers and shrubs that attract butterflies and birds, are whimsically designed in the shape of a violin and two eighth notes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.