One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note having the time value of an eighth of a whole note or half a quarter note, represented by a large dot with a hooked stem.
- ‘Some passages do incorporate sixteenth notes and eighth notes with dotted quarters following.’
- ‘Half-way through the book there is a message that the eighth notes should be played as swinging eighths with the note on the beat longer and the note on the off-beat shorter.’
- ‘Two of the gardens, planted with flowers and shrubs that attract butterflies and birds, are whimsically designed in the shape of a violin and two eighth notes.’
- ‘Prior to learning the notes, students need to tap and count the rhythm, incorporating all accents and dynamics, with the metronome set to the eighth note.’
- ‘Rarely does any one instrumentalist subdivide the rhythm beyond the equivalent of an eighth note of the main pulse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.