Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The large egg-shaped fruit of an Old World plant, eaten as a vegetable. Its skin is typically dark purple, but the skin of certain cultivated varieties is white or yellow.
- ‘Arabic cookery manuscripts from Spain show several variations on the theme of fried eggplant with stewed meat.’
- ‘Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.’
- ‘Locally produced vegetables, including eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and greens, are sold in outdoor markets.’
- ‘It's full of the sunny flavors of summer - tomatoes, eggplant and fresh basil - and reminds me of the fun I had shopping for them at my favorite outdoor store.’
- ‘There were only three people, but we devoured the stuffed eggplant, and even had room for dessert.’
- ‘He also encourages them to employ Mediterranean ingredients like rosemary, garlic, tomatoes and eggplant to bring out the fruit flavors of red wines.’
- ‘At a good Chinese restaurant, eggplant in garlic sauce is an amazing experience.’
- ‘A typical meal consists of rice, dal, and vegetable curry using eggplant, spinach, and seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbages, or peas.’
- ‘I had tofu lasagna, and Tara had a fantastic stuffed eggplant.’
- ‘Fingers of deliciously charred portobello mushrooms set off the eggplant's naturally smoky flavour, while a simple tomato coulis keeps things light.’
- ‘Some enjoy eggplant cooked and served with other vegetables as part of a medley.’
- ‘The stuffed eggplant was slightly undercooked, but the flavours of cheese and herbs were delightful.’
- ‘Gina genuinely prefers her own roasted eggplant to any other she has tasted.’
- ‘Pierce the eggplants in several places, and bake them on a rimmed baking sheet until they are soft and their skins have shriveled, 20-30 minutes, depending on their size.’
- ‘Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.’
- ‘Add the eggplant, onion, and tomatoes and sauté until golden brown, about three minutes.’
- ‘I don't know about you, but I love grilled eggplant.’
- ‘Tender carrots marinated in cinnamon, roasted beets in vinaigrette, and fried eggplant are all good.’
- ‘There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.’
- ‘Try to cook an eggplant soon after you buy it.’
- 1.1 A dark purple color like the skin of the eggplant.
- ‘I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.’
- ‘In color, the dirty trend will continue with green, rust and brown-casted overdyed colors coming on strong, Curtin adds, with eggplant emerging as a hot trend.’
- ‘I think one wall painted in eggplant would be striking, especially if balanced with white or cream.’
- ‘I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.’
- ‘I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?’
2The large plant of the nightshade family that bears the eggplant fruit.
- ‘Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.’
- ‘There are 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, fennel, cipollini onions, eggplant, peppers, several pear trees and a couple apple trees, too.’
- ‘Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.’
- ‘Heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra and New Zealand spinach will continue to produce until frost.’
- ‘It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.’
- ‘Other plants, such as eggplant, peppers and potatoes, can develop this virus.’
- ‘Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.’
- ‘It's not too late to set out plants of cucumber, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and squash.’
- ‘Start seeds of vegetables like onion, leek, pepper, eggplant and tomato now.’
- ‘It causes wilt on more than 160 different kinds of plants, including strawberries, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, stone fruits, and peppers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.