Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The large egg-shaped fruit of an Old World plant, eaten as a vegetable. Its skin is typically dark purple, but the skin of certain cultivated varieties is white or yellow.
- ‘Pierce the eggplants in several places, and bake them on a rimmed baking sheet until they are soft and their skins have shriveled, 20-30 minutes, depending on their size.’
- ‘There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.’
- ‘Some enjoy eggplant cooked and served with other vegetables as part of a medley.’
- ‘He also encourages them to employ Mediterranean ingredients like rosemary, garlic, tomatoes and eggplant to bring out the fruit flavors of red wines.’
- ‘There were only three people, but we devoured the stuffed eggplant, and even had room for dessert.’
- ‘Add the eggplant, onion, and tomatoes and sauté until golden brown, about three minutes.’
- ‘A typical meal consists of rice, dal, and vegetable curry using eggplant, spinach, and seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbages, or peas.’
- ‘Tender carrots marinated in cinnamon, roasted beets in vinaigrette, and fried eggplant are all good.’
- ‘Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.’
- ‘Arabic cookery manuscripts from Spain show several variations on the theme of fried eggplant with stewed meat.’
- ‘I had tofu lasagna, and Tara had a fantastic stuffed eggplant.’
- ‘Locally produced vegetables, including eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and greens, are sold in outdoor markets.’
- ‘Try to cook an eggplant soon after you buy it.’
- ‘Gina genuinely prefers her own roasted eggplant to any other she has tasted.’
- ‘Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.’
- ‘At a good Chinese restaurant, eggplant in garlic sauce is an amazing experience.’
- ‘The stuffed eggplant was slightly undercooked, but the flavours of cheese and herbs were delightful.’
- ‘I don't know about you, but I love grilled eggplant.’
- ‘Fingers of deliciously charred portobello mushrooms set off the eggplant's naturally smoky flavour, while a simple tomato coulis keeps things light.’
- ‘It's full of the sunny flavors of summer - tomatoes, eggplant and fresh basil - and reminds me of the fun I had shopping for them at my favorite outdoor store.’
- 1.1A dark purple color like the skin of the eggplant.
- ‘I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?’
- ‘I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.’
- ‘I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.’
- ‘I think one wall painted in eggplant would be striking, especially if balanced with white or cream.’
- ‘In color, the dirty trend will continue with green, rust and brown-casted overdyed colors coming on strong, Curtin adds, with eggplant emerging as a hot trend.’
2The large plant of the nightshade family that bears the eggplant fruit.
- ‘It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.’
- ‘Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.’
- ‘There are 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, fennel, cipollini onions, eggplant, peppers, several pear trees and a couple apple trees, too.’
- ‘It's not too late to set out plants of cucumber, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and squash.’
- ‘Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.’
- ‘Heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra and New Zealand spinach will continue to produce until frost.’
- ‘Other plants, such as eggplant, peppers and potatoes, can develop this virus.’
- ‘It causes wilt on more than 160 different kinds of plants, including strawberries, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, stone fruits, and peppers.’
- ‘Start seeds of vegetables like onion, leek, pepper, eggplant and tomato now.’
- ‘Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.