One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A kitchen utensil used for beating ingredients such as eggs or cream.
- ‘Beat the mixture with an egg beater until it forms a stiff foam that looks like whipped cream.’
- ‘Add the egg and beat well with a wooden masher or with an electric egg beater.’
- ‘Add four eggs and half a cup of water to the paste and beat well with an egg beater till very frothy and air bubbles appear.’
- ‘Using an electric egg beater, beat the eggs with the sugar until very fluffy and pale.’
- ‘We have just received new hand-mixers similar to an egg beater, but these are electrical, saving your arm.’
- 1.1North American informal A helicopter.
- ‘he climbed into the cockpit of the machine and prepared to give them a visual demonstration of what his flying egg-beater could do.’
- ‘I've always wondered about the ‘egg beaters’ flying around.’
- ‘Today the eggbeater went into action and the damn thing acted like it had good sense.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.