One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A kitchen utensil used for beating ingredients such as eggs or cream.
- ‘Using an electric egg beater, beat the eggs with the sugar until very fluffy and pale.’
- ‘Add the egg and beat well with a wooden masher or with an electric egg beater.’
- ‘Beat the mixture with an egg beater until it forms a stiff foam that looks like whipped cream.’
- ‘We have just received new hand-mixers similar to an egg beater, but these are electrical, saving your arm.’
- ‘Add four eggs and half a cup of water to the paste and beat well with an egg beater till very frothy and air bubbles appear.’
- 1.1North American informal A helicopter.
- ‘Today the eggbeater went into action and the damn thing acted like it had good sense.’
- ‘I've always wondered about the ‘egg beaters’ flying around.’
- ‘he climbed into the cockpit of the machine and prepared to give them a visual demonstration of what his flying egg-beater could do.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.