A device for measuring the time required to cook a boiled egg, traditionally in the form of a miniature hourglass.
- ‘However, my mother was ecstatic about her egg timer.’
- ‘If you are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the telephone, you might consider the use of an egg timer, or some other device, to limit your calls.’
- ‘He would use an egg timer at meal times, threatening to hit the children if they did not eat up in time.’
- ‘You can also use an egg timer to remind you to turn off the water.’
- ‘She had the uncanny ability to turn things around in a flash - as if she was flipping over an egg timer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.