One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for measuring the time required to cook a boiled egg, traditionally in the form of a miniature hourglass.
- ‘She had the uncanny ability to turn things around in a flash - as if she was flipping over an egg timer.’
- ‘If you are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the telephone, you might consider the use of an egg timer, or some other device, to limit your calls.’
- ‘He would use an egg timer at meal times, threatening to hit the children if they did not eat up in time.’
- ‘However, my mother was ecstatic about her egg timer.’
- ‘You can also use an egg timer to remind you to turn off the water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.