Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for measuring the time required to cook a boiled egg, traditionally in the form of a miniature hourglass.
- ‘He would use an egg timer at meal times, threatening to hit the children if they did not eat up in time.’
- ‘She had the uncanny ability to turn things around in a flash - as if she was flipping over an egg timer.’
- ‘If you are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the telephone, you might consider the use of an egg timer, or some other device, to limit your calls.’
- ‘You can also use an egg timer to remind you to turn off the water.’
- ‘However, my mother was ecstatic about her egg timer.’
egg timer/ˈeɡ ˌtīmər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.