Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protective silken pouch in which a female spider deposits her eggs.
- ‘No food was provided during the period when the female carried the egg sac.’
- ‘Eggs are usually deposited in a waterproof egg sac made of silk and deposited in the bottom of the burrow.’
- ‘Mating trials were repeated every other day until a female produced an egg sac.’
- ‘My favorites are the grass spiders, funnel-web weavers that emerge in spring, pouring dozens at a time from an egg sac produced the previous autumn.’
- ‘Redback spiderlings disperse from their natal web by ballooning after emerging from the egg sac.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.