Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the oval shape of an egg.‘a variety with white flowers and egg-shaped fruits’
egg-shaped, ovoid, ovate, oviform, elliptical, ellipsoidalView synonyms
- ‘People with egg-shaped or oval faces can get away with almost any type of frame.’
- ‘The interior decor is quite cool, and innovative, particularly the egg-shaped toilets.’
- ‘The sail is egg-shaped, 30ft long, and eight feet wide.’
- ‘He visited his GP after discovering an egg-shaped lump and was referred to hospital where a biopsy diagnosed the cancer.’
- ‘A pleasing confederation of curves, the Cornish rex has a long, graceful neck that leads to a comparatively small, narrow, somewhat egg-shaped head.’
- ‘A wisp of blond hair hung under his receding chin and an egg-shaped raspberry mole dotted his left cheek.’
- ‘The small egg-shaped bulb gives rise to a long flower stalk upon which globe-shaped purple-red flowers are produced.’
- ‘The final winner was a Frenchman, whose egg-shaped design was promptly criticised on all sides.’
- ‘The firing of the main engine will brake the spacecraft, slowing and curving its trajectory into an egg-shaped orbit around the planet.’
- ‘Discontinued in 1998, Tamagotchi was an egg-shaped, pocket-sized gadget with a cartoon pet that appeared on a screen.’
- ‘Blue-eyed, white-haired and 5ft 10 in, he is rather taller than the sleuth, who is small and egg-shaped.’
- ‘Asteroids have more elongated or egg-shaped orbits bringing some of them onto paths which cross the Earth's orbit.’
- ‘I am getting an egg-shaped bruise.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.