One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Most migrations of efts reported in the northeastern Unites States occur in both spring and fall (April and May and August to October).’
- 1.1Zoology The juvenile stage of a newt.
- ‘These newts are born in the water like most newts, then the red eft emerges from the water and lives on land for a season before returning to the water.’
- ‘On a recent pond survey at Logan's Meadow a large number of Eft's have been found.’
- ‘Eastern newts have three stages of life: the aquatic larva or tadpole, the red eft or terrestrial juvenile stage, and the aquatic adult.’
Old English efeta, of unknown origin. Compare with newt.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.