Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The temperature of an object calculated from the radiation it emits, assuming black-body behavior.
- ‘We estimated the corrected effective temperature and wet-bulb globe temperature from these measurements.’
- ‘But the effective temperature of the system is the kinetic temperature of random motions of the grains.’
- ‘The temperature of brown dwarfs is generally a few hundred degrees cooler than the effective temperature of a star.’
- ‘The effective temperature in the ring is higher than in the sun.’
- ‘But far from agreeing, the team commented, ‘In fact the effective temperature of a black hole is absolute zero… No radiation could be emitted from the hole.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.