One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & verbinformal
Used as a euphemism for “fuck.”.
- ‘Well, ma'am, what the eff would you know about an American white girl's hair?’
- ‘But then Leif and Ryder wouldn't have looked so surprised when I made the comment about them effing me up.’
- ‘America have come out with more purpose and energy than they showed against the Czechs, and there really is nothing else to say because eff all has happened.’
- ‘Two cards for the Dutch already and the referee, for those who asked, is someone about whom I know precisely eff all.’
- ‘‘It may be tricky for you to tell him to eff off, but not me,’ she says.’
- ‘I'd tell you how, except I didn't see it because I was too busy trying to chronicle Ukraine's opener for posterity and being pestered by a fly that's buzzing around my head and won't effing eff the eff off.’
- ‘I could tell her to eff the eff off if she starts screaming at you or whatever.’
- ‘I genuinely like my ex, we DO have a friendship even though he definitely would like more, plus I have hurt him very badly and am loath to just tell him to eff off.’
- ‘Around 4: 45 I think, me and Julia and some other dude stumbled back to her house where I promptly passed the eff out.’
- ‘Well, eff the players, and eff the owners, and eff their not-a-whit-of-difference agreement.’
- ‘Tell everyone around them who doesn't like it to just eff off!’
- ‘You know what that means - he can go eff himself.’
eff and blind
informal Use vulgar expletives; swear.‘You can eff and blind all you want; the rules still stand’
curse, blaspheme, utter profanities, utter oaths, be foul-mouthed, use bad language, use foul language, be blasphemous, take the lord's name in vain, swear like a trooper, damnView synonyms
- ‘He used to eff and blind at me but he was a superb coach.’
- ‘They never get in trouble when they eff and blind at home.’
- ‘Far better, then, to get a whole bunch of ordinary people for him to humiliate and eff and blind at instead.’
1950s: the letter F represented as a word.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.