One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an ancient people living in Edom, a region south of the Dead Sea, in biblical times, traditionally believed to be descended from Esau.
- ‘During their Wilderness Journey, the Israelites were ‘headed off at the pass’ by the Edomites who refused passage through their territory.’
- ‘It was a region populated by Edomites who had been forced by the Maccabees to convert to Judaism.’
- ‘The Edomites sided with the Babylonians under King Nebuchadnezzar when they conquered Judah and devastated Jerusalem.’
- ‘Apparently the only nations descended from Sarah and Abraham were the Hebrews, the Ishmaelites, the Midianites, and the Edomites.’
- ‘King Herod was an Edomite (also called Idumean), not a Jew.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.