One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- former name for Tokyo
1A member of a people inhabiting the district of Benin in Nigeria.
- ‘Other smaller groups include the Fulani, Ijaw, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, and Edo.’
- ‘Addressing such matters as spirit doubles, personal aggressiveness, and hard work, they provide one of the most interesting ways by which to compare Delta peoples and their neighbors, including the Igbo and Edo.’
2The Benue-Congo language of the Edo.
- ‘Both an interest in change as a cultural attitude and a focus on drama are more associated with Igbo than Edo in the literature.’
Relating to the Edo or their language.
- ‘In a personal communication, Arnold Rubin said that John Picton had attributed the mask to a northern Edo group, the Etsako, and had felt it resembled a mask photographed in Fugar by K.C. Murray.’
- ‘The very eclecticism of eastern Etsako masks evokes an Igbo rather than an Edo model.’
- ‘The masquerades used in Ekperi today and in the recent past are forms borrowed from the visual culture of non-Edo or other northern Edo peoples, possibly making them more celebratory than sacred.’
- ‘Then, as now, one wonders in what ways the idiom of ‘the Delta’ pushed inland into Edo, northern Igbo, ancient Yoruba, and other ‘backwater’ regions.’
- ‘This order is the same as that found in all other Edo books on the subject.’
The name of Benin City in Edo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.