Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Something forming an edge or border.‘the crocheted edging of the cloth’
edge, border, hem, trimming, frill, flounce, ruffleView synonyms
- ‘First-year males look like mature males but with rusty edgings on their black feathers.’
- ‘Vanessa said the edgings were banned because all stonework in the cemetery had to be installed by an approved stonemason, which meant it was covered by insurance.’
- ‘They make handsome edgings for flower beds and herb gardens, and are equally at home as rock garden plants, in window boxes, in patio containers, or cascading from strawberry pots.’
- ‘Small, compact types are excellent edgings along walkways or in narrow beds; they also look good in containers.’
- ‘They're particularly suitable for small beds, border edgings, even containers.’
- ‘‘We have a parlor,’ she said imperiously, straightening the lace edgings on the pillow.’
- ‘Go stand in a shoe shop and watch women fight over the final pair of suede boots with the kitten heel and tasseled edgings around the top that have been reduced to sell.’
- ‘It is medium and low-growing hedges and edgings that are underused; they can have enormous value in even the smallest gardens.’
- ‘The edging for these borders should be selected carefully, not too high to be obstructive, not too low to be a waste of time and absolutely no sharp edges.’
- ‘Pansies are fabulous for containers, edgings, borders, windowsill pots, or planted in masses of brilliant colors.’
- ‘Mud and oil in considerable quantity is being dragged onto the new road by boats and tractors and the road edgings are rapidly being destroyed.’
- ‘In your garden supply store, you will find many manufactured edgings to suite any style of garden.’
- ‘As its name depicts, these carnations are very showy when planted as part of a mixed flower border or as colorful edgings against evergreen shrubs.’
- ‘It was large - approximately a quarter of an acre section, featuring a large kidney shaped in-ground pool as a center piece - and all the edgings were beautiful floral montages.’
- ‘Miniature roses are surprisingly easy to grow, and they look great as edgings for your beds or borders, accent plants for rock gardens, and as houseplants.’
- ‘The juvenile has bold, black edgings on its wings and the nape of its neck, and a black bill.’
- ‘The router is used to cut contours in wood for edgings and moldings or for more complex relief panels and inlay work, dovetails, and mortises.’
- ‘They swooped down and circled around her, wrapping themselves in her curls and playing with the lace edging of her dress.’
- ‘She will remember the way she feels (her eyes hurt, from staring at lace edgings all day, and she wants to stretch, to sleep, to get some dinner).’
- ‘It was now time to permanently attach the plastic edging to the case sleeves using an epoxy adhesive.’
- 1.1 The process of providing something with an edge or border.
- ‘But if you have loose soil, consider using landscape timbers or another edging material to hold everything in place.’
- ‘Critics of edging tiles claimed they were difficult to keep upright and in a straight line and were concerned about their durability.’
- ‘Janet chose not to install any edging material: She says the trench was easy to install and serves as a low-maintenance barrier between bed and lawn.’
- ‘In the United States, Victorian English edging tiles appear to have been used chiefly in Savannah, Georgia.’
- ‘When I applied to the council to erect a gravestone, I was amazed that we were not allowed to place any edging stones around the grave.’
- ‘You can rent a gas powered edging tool if shovelling by hand seems like too much work.’
- ‘If you like, an edging trowel will give you a nice bullnose finish on your corners.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.