One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any tool with a sharp cutting edge.
- ‘‘Don't trust children with edge tools,’ he wrote.’
- ‘By the late eighteenth century Sheffield was also well on its way to becoming one of the world's major centers of edge tool production.’
- ‘Water channelled from them would supply a mill pond that was used to drive a water wheel which, in turn, powered machinery to produce a variety of consumer goods including edge tools and cutlery.’
- ‘It was one of the leading centers of English tool manufacture during the second half of the eighteenth century, when Sheffield was just beginning to emerge as the major producer of edge tools.’
- ‘These versatile rural blacksmiths were called on to fashion or repair edge tools, augers, scythes, plows, shovels, railings, pots, pans, cutlery, kitchen utensils, and building and furniture hardware.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.