One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.Also called dropsy
- ‘Diuretics are essential for the symptomatic management of patients with lung congestion or peripheral oedema from fluid overload.’
- ‘The result is an accumulation of fluid in the tissue - also called oedema.’
- ‘Muscles waste away; oedema and accumulation of fluid in body cavities follows depletion of plasma proteins.’
- ‘Seven children died from illness or injury without oedema, three in the antioxidant supplement group and four in the placebo group.’
- ‘Treatment of elephantiasis nostras aims at prevention of recurrent infection and edema.’
- ‘Hyponatremia in the presence of edema indicates increased total body sodium and water.’
- ‘The disposable canister serves as a collection depot for edema fluid that is suctioned from the wound tissue.’
- ‘Increased hypoxia in local tissues, marked oedema of the toes, or development of venous hypertension may be involved.’
- ‘Mild edema of the medullary cavity was present in most of these cases.’
- ‘For example, in a healthy person without oedema, the kidneys deal with surplus fluid in the body by disposing of it in the urine.’
- ‘Fine crackles are heard with pulmonary edema, pneumonia and pulmonary fibrosis.’
- ‘The bandages substitute for the elasticity lost by tissues engorged with edema.’
- ‘But of course cough is a common symptom of pulmonary oedema or coexistent bronchitis, so you should also consider these causes.’
- ‘This is not easy, as too little fluid will cause hypoperfusion whereas too much will lead to oedema that will cause tissue hypoxia.’
- ‘Immediate clinical manifestations of acute lung injury include pneumothorax, pulmonary oedema, and air embolism.’
- ‘The pathogenesis may involve edema and inflammation secondary to the impacted stone in the cystic duct.’
- ‘Patients may develop blepharitis and present with ptosis secondary to edema and inflammation.’
- ‘In compensated heart failure, symptoms are stable, and many overt features of fluid retention and pulmonary oedema are absent.’
- ‘The risk of moderate vision loss caused by diabetic macular edema was reduced by 50 percent.’
- ‘This reverses the gradient, causing a decrease in tissue and organ edema and associated morbidity.’
Late Middle English: modern Latin, from Greek oidēma, from oidein ‘to swell’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.