Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A localized electric current induced in a conductor by a varying magnetic field.
- ‘When a coil of wire surrounds a ferromagnetic core, like iron, for example, of a transformer, the changing magnetic field induces an eddy current in the core, which happens to be conductive as well.’
- ‘When a conducting metal is introduced into this field, an eddy current is induced in the metal.’
- ‘The silicon steels are designed to have lower hysteresis and eddy current losses than plain steel when used in magnetic circuits.’
- ‘This yields low eddy current losses at high induction levels.’
- ‘‘Ultrasound and eddy currents can be applied in a very wide range of situations,’ says Harper.’
- ‘‘The changing magnetic field created by the transient current induces eddy currents in any conductor nearby,’ Daehn explains, adding, ‘These currents have their own magnetic fields.’’
- ‘Non-destructive testing services also will be available, including eddy current, flux leakage and ultrasonic inspection.’
- ‘Naturally occurring variations in the Earth's magnetic field induce eddy currents in the Earth that are detectable as electric field variations on the surface.’
- ‘The heat supply medium includes a metallic body for induction heating, which is provided with a magnetic field to produce an eddy current.’
- ‘Because of obsolescence, the eddy current testers, harmonic bond testers, and ultrasonic testers were replaced between fiscal years 2003 and 2004.’
- ‘Higher resistivity lessens the core loss by reducing the eddy current component.’
- ‘The eddy current is generated at the surface of the work-piece (skin effect) and diminishes toward the interior.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.