One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A town in the Netherlands, to the northeast of Amsterdam; population 28,448 (2008) (with Volendam).
A round Dutch cheese, typically pale yellow with a red wax coating.
- ‘I also found that Edam cheese is extortionately expensive, so I was forced to buy white chocolate fudge cookies instead.’
- ‘Whether you take bite of an high quality Edam or one of mediocre quality, you should still be able to say ‘This is an Edam Cheese’.’
- ‘Another thing she makes that I love is custard and one of my top Jewish snacks of all time is a matzo sandwich with Edam because it's what my daddy used to have.’
- ‘Boasting the highest yields of milk per cow in the world, the Netherlands provides some of the world's most famous cheeses, including Edam and Gouda.’
- ‘‘Asparagus,’ he pronounces solemnly, ‘and just a… a flutter of Edam cheese.’’
- ‘And there's just a flutter of, like, a nutty Edam cheese.’
- ‘There is also a cheese factory, where you can try the Gouda or Edam for which the Netherlands is famous.’
- ‘Like Edam, it is pale yellow inside, has a smooth and elastic texture, and a mild, salty flavour which is sometimes varied by the addition of cumin.’
- ‘To Jack's bemusement, he rolls another vintage around his palate and claims to detect hints of strawberry, asparagus, and Dutch Edam.’
- ‘The sector includes cooked pressed cheeses, used mainly for cooking purposes, and uncooked pressed cheeses such as Edam and Cantal.’
- ‘In Germany such cheese could be lawfully produced with a fat content of only 34.3 per cent, whereas in France the name Edam was restricted to cheese which had a fat content of 40 per cent.’
- ‘In my previous experience, Dutch cheese came in two types, Edam and Gouda.’
- ‘In the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao, Dutch colonies with a strong Spanish mix, they have been known to top stews with Edam cheese!’
- ‘In due course, 20 tonnes of Edam is delivered to Antwerp.’
- ‘Top with grated Edam cheese (vegetable rennet if you can; I've bought the cheap stuff and broken my principles).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.