Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Bryozoa
- ‘Analyses including a variety of annelids and molluscs do not show Annelida and Mollusca as monophyletic, and the Ectoprocta are usually polyphyletic too.’
- ‘Lophophorates include only three known groups, i.e. Phoronida, Ectoprocta and Brachiopoda.’
- ‘The internal anatomy is relatively simple, with a U-shaped gut and the anus located outside the ciliated feeding apparatus, a similar arrangement to that found in Ectoprocta and some sessile rotifers.’
- ‘In the original description we stated that the Cycliophora are related to Entoprocta / Ectoprocta.’
- ‘In our original description the Cycliophora was related to the Entoprocta and Ectoprocta on the basis of ultrastructual research.’
Modern Latin (plural), from ektos ‘outside or external’ + prōktos ‘anus’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.