Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science that deals with the nature, effects, and interactions of substances that are harmful to the environment.
- ‘This technique has been applied in genotoxicity studies, in ecotoxicology, in biomonitoring and in clinical radiobiology.’
- ‘Recent efforts in ecotoxicology have focused on linking effects of contaminants on individuals with population-level consequences.’
- ‘These reproductive end-points can be studied in parallel to determine contaminant effects on the reproductive success of the organism, one of the key objectives of ecotoxicology.’
- ‘Sparling is an authority on amphibian ecotoxicology.’
- ‘Modern ecotoxicology must embrace our growing understanding of the complexity and variation associated with the biology of organisms, from genomic to ecosystem levels of organization.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.