One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A region of transition between two biological communities.
- ‘This migratory species is especially vulnerable to flooding because of its ground foraging ecology, but little is known about patterns of habitat occupancy at wetland ecotones.’
- ‘I relocated white-footed mice from high-quality, oak-dominated hardwood and lower quality, white pine forests to novel sites and released them along the ecotone of these two habitat types.’
- ‘Belt transects or strip transects have traditionally been used to study transitions between community types, such as the ecotone between a forested community and the grassy vegetation in a forest opening.’
- ‘The apparent importance of ecotones in defining habitat quality for Northern Spotted Owls in northwestern California is based on long-term observational data.’
- ‘Tigers thrive in the areas known as ecotones that exist between cultivation and dense forest.’
Early 20th century: from eco- + Greek tonos ‘tension’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.