One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device designed to make a machine or system more energy-efficient.
- ‘If your boiler is not equipped with an economizer then you're wasting energy up your stack.’
- ‘Motion sensors that control lights in classrooms stayed as well, as did the economizers that allow HVAC systems to operate on 100 percent fresh air when the outside temperature meets the inside temperature demand.’
- ‘The solution is an economizer that adds a second control which works in harmony with the outdoor thermostat and measures the outdoor air humidity.’
- ‘Further improvements in boiler operating efficiency can be achieved by adding such features as oxygen trim controls and economizers.’
- ‘The boilers incorporate economizers; these take the heat from the stack gases and transfer it into the incoming boiler feedwater, thereby reducing the amount of fuel needed to heat the feedwater.’
- ‘Greater energy savings and maintained comfort are achieved with enthalpy economizers, though they cost more to install and maintain.’
- ‘Robert Stirling applied for his first patents for this engine and the economizer in 1816, only after a few months of getting nominated as a minister at the Church of Scotland.’
- ‘When outside temperatures are less than 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius), cooling is provided by outside air economizers for a ‘free’ cooling system.’
- ‘It caused pressure to build up in an economiser and the men who were working below were showered with red-hot steam on December 7, 1997.’
- ‘In addition, Blackburn and his employees rebuilt both of the university's 60,000-pound, water-tube boilers and added economizers to them.’
- ‘Consider the issue of outdoor air economizers.’
2A person who reduces expenditure.
- ‘Mississippianization became a logical solution to population stress and concomitant problems of resource allocation in a society of rational economizers.’
- ‘In ministerial posts under Aberdeen and Palmerston, including colonial secretary, he stood out as an administrative reformer and economizer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.