One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statistic used to gauge future trends in a nation's economy.
- ‘The University of Michigan's index is so accurate a predictor that the federal government has included it among its leading economic indicators since 1989.’
- ‘And all the leading economic indicators are trending upward.’
- ‘The construction of leading economic indicators requires a monthly and up-to-date series.’
- ‘Taiwan's economic planning body said yesterday that the nation's leading economic indicators for March hit a 15-year low.’
- ‘You won't find ‘coffee-shop attendance’ on any list of leading economic indicators, but it's nevertheless key.’
- ‘Corporate profits at one time were thought to be a leading economic indicator.’
- ‘December's 0.1 percent rise in the Conference Board's index of leading economic indicators followed gains of 0.5 percent in November and 0.2 percent in October.’
- ‘Japan, for example, has become the largest beneficiary of China's economic growth, and its leading economic indicators, including consumer spending, have improved as a result.’
- ‘The composite index of leading economic indicators - a key gauge of economic activity in the next six months - was unchanged in September after a drop in the previous month, the government said yesterday.’
- ‘The index of leading economic indicators has been slipping slowly since February.’
- ‘Whenever the lagging economic indicators rise simultaneously with leading economic indicators declining - like now - history shows the stock market is at major top.’
- ‘Every leading economic indicator (optimism, spending, revenue, income, etc.) for small and medium businesses is up for the first time since 1999.’
- ‘Despite rising unemployment, Taiwan's leading economic indicators in January rose 1.5 percent to 98.3-the highest level since December 2000, the Council for Economic Planning and Development said yesterday.’
- ‘But the really important trend is a leading economic indicator of returning prosperity if ever there was one: ‘Men's bags seem to be coming up to speed in terms of fashion, too.’’
- ‘History and business-cycle theory show that stock markets tend to peak when the aggregate of other leading economic indicators are also peaking, which altogether usually anticipate business-cycle peaks by a few quarters.’
- ‘The nation's composite index of leading economic indicators rose for a seventh straight month in March, indicating economic expansion is continuing, the Council for Economic Planning and Development said yesterday.’
- ‘In addition, the government's economic planning body also announced Taiwan's leading economic indicator in October fell to an 18-month low.’
- ‘And the May index of leading economic indicators was up by 1%, its biggest gain since December 2001.’
- ‘Moreover, business fixed investment may be a leading economic indicator.’
- ‘The Federal Reserve chairman's comments came as the index of US leading economic indicators brought positive news.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.