Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or concerned with the relation of living organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings.‘one of the world's worst ecological disasters’‘pollution is posing a serious threat to the ecological balance of the oceans’
- ‘Free trade between states would also need to be modified to take account of ecological issues.’
- ‘Juan Carlos launches into a lecture on Bolivia's ecological cosmology.’
- ‘The diversity of program interventions addressed all of the factors outlined in the ecological perspective.’
- ‘More than 3,000 species of mosquitoes are present on our planet, each occupying a distinct ecological niche.’
- ‘The Forum brings religious scholars into gatherings where they can explore their relationships to the contemporary ecological crisis.’
- ‘He says he has moved from being a fiscal conservative to being an ecological conservative.’
- ‘Researchers attributed the finding to improvements in the ecological environment of the region.’
- ‘Therefore, kin recognition should be studied with explicit references to the ecological context within which the recognition behavior is expressed.’
- ‘Take an inventory of what kind of an impact your life has on Mother Earth - your own personal ecological footprint.’
- ‘The implications of studying ecological performance for within-species selection studies are profound.’
- ‘All the interbasin transfers in South Africa are potential ecological disasters.’
- ‘In addition, differences among species in their ability to stabilize posture in rolling appear to have ecological implications.’
- ‘The fishing communities bore the economic brunt of the ecological crisis.’
- ‘The loss of preexisting genes or gene activities during evolution is a major mechanism of ecological specialization.’
- ‘The possible ecological significance of the different activity time of the ruddy mongoose has not been studied.’
- ‘Flowers occur in a vast range of ecological situations.’
- ‘Every morning Native American tribal leaders filmed their conversations for use in a society which has yet to acquire their ecological awareness.’
- ‘Economic growth must come to mean sustainable ecological improvement, not ecological destruction.’
- ‘Through mutation, genes test different strategies for enhancing ecological survival.’
- ‘Economic growth has been bought at the expense of ecological disarray.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.