Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of marking products with a distinctive label to show that their manufacture conforms to recognized environmental standards.
- ‘There are some aspects of the trade and environment debate, such as the precautionary principle and eco-labelling, that give us cause for deep anxiety.’
- ‘Another method of raising environmental standards is through eco-labelling.’
- ‘There will also be discussion on eco-labelling, which may be illegal under current trade rules.’
- ‘Generally, eco-labeling is beneficial, and env-PAC support increases a candidate's chance of winning an election, thereby heightening environmental support within the Senate.’
- ‘Planned developments in Integrated Production Policy will mean that tools such as eco-labelling and environmental management systems will be driving forces for companies in every sector of the economy.’
- ‘European eco-labelling has enjoyed a very uneven history; and ‘fair-trade’ products have grown in number but remain limited to a small range of products (bananas, tea, coffee, chocolate).’
- ‘The rapid spread in eco-labeling of forest products likely will force logging firms to change to sustainable harvesting or be driven out of business.’
- ‘Countries including Korea, the United States and China are claiming that eco-labelling damages their competitiveness and acts as a barrier to trade.’
- ‘‘International pressure, in terms of eco-labeling or forest product certification, will be ineffective, unless we first show our own commitment to complying with the law and taking harsher action against illegal loggers,’ he said.’
- ‘These accession states also could be a good testing ground for new policy instruments such as voluntary agreements for eco-labeling and market mechanisms such as emissions trading and energy taxes.’
- ‘But it is still hoping for agreement on eco-labelling so that consumers can be informed about the environmental impact of the products they buy - but it is finding opposition from other countries.’
- ‘A negative impact from eco-labeling conforms with other evidence that a strong pro-environmental stance did not benefit candidates in the 1996 and 1998 elections.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.