Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Concern with environmental issues, viewed as a fashion or fad.‘eco-chic is all the rage!’
- ‘Carbon consciousness is catching on, and eco-chic is all the rage!’
- ‘John Kerry looks to be the ultimate embodiment of Beltway eco-chic.’
- ‘This eco-chic exhibit focuses on the work of 38 international designers who were cherry-picked for marrying modern aesthetics with sustainability.’
- ‘Despite his background, he is not a New Labour champagne socialist, nor an aristocrat dabbling in eco-chic, but a real radical.’
- ‘When you're shopping for the holidays in this year of eco-chic, remember: tis the season to be green.’
- ‘Conscious Style Home is his manifesto, a simple but zealous attempt to convince the masses not just to adopt a stance against furriers but to embrace an entire eco-chic worldview, starting with your own abode.’
- ‘Environmentalists today are emerging as entrepreneurs, visionary policy makers, and the high priests of hope and eco-chic.’
- ‘The two eco-chic stars have been joined on the green podium by other international jet-setting celebrities.’
- ‘Not just for tree huggers and hippies, eco chic is becoming a bigger part of our consumption culture.’
- 1.1 Design or clothing that reflects a concern with environmental issues.‘almost overnight, the front lobby went from art deco to eco-chic’[as modifier] ‘an eco-chic hemp drawstring bag’
- ‘When buying homeware products, look for ones made from sustainable or re-used materials. Eco-chic is the next big thing!’
- ‘Some 40 guests have been staying at the eco-chic desert camp, where tents cost £600 a night.’
- ‘An eco-chic café, half underground and with a roof made of grass, is to be built in the heart of St James's Park, London.’
- ‘Five eco-chic dome-shaped tent pods on raised wooden platforms around a traditional Alpine chalet.’
- ‘Designer Rogan Gregory recycles a crocheted tunic into an eco-chic shopping tote.’
- ‘While eco-chic accessories are gaining prominence in the mainstream, each of these designers faces challenges in educating his or her clientele.’
- ‘Hemp threads and hybrid cars aren't the only harbingers of eco-chic design.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.