Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Concern with environmental issues, viewed as a fashion or fad.‘eco-chic is all the rage!’
- ‘Not just for tree huggers and hippies, eco chic is becoming a bigger part of our consumption culture.’
- ‘This eco-chic exhibit focuses on the work of 38 international designers who were cherry-picked for marrying modern aesthetics with sustainability.’
- ‘Carbon consciousness is catching on, and eco-chic is all the rage!’
- ‘Environmentalists today are emerging as entrepreneurs, visionary policy makers, and the high priests of hope and eco-chic.’
- ‘Despite his background, he is not a New Labour champagne socialist, nor an aristocrat dabbling in eco-chic, but a real radical.’
- ‘Conscious Style Home is his manifesto, a simple but zealous attempt to convince the masses not just to adopt a stance against furriers but to embrace an entire eco-chic worldview, starting with your own abode.’
- ‘John Kerry looks to be the ultimate embodiment of Beltway eco-chic.’
- ‘The two eco-chic stars have been joined on the green podium by other international jet-setting celebrities.’
- ‘When you're shopping for the holidays in this year of eco-chic, remember: tis the season to be green.’
- 1.1Design or clothing that reflects a concern with environmental issues.‘almost overnight, the front lobby went from art deco to eco-chic’[as modifier] ‘an eco-chic hemp drawstring bag’
- ‘Some 40 guests have been staying at the eco-chic desert camp, where tents cost £600 a night.’
- ‘Designer Rogan Gregory recycles a crocheted tunic into an eco-chic shopping tote.’
- ‘While eco-chic accessories are gaining prominence in the mainstream, each of these designers faces challenges in educating his or her clientele.’
- ‘Five eco-chic dome-shaped tent pods on raised wooden platforms around a traditional Alpine chalet.’
- ‘An eco-chic café, half underground and with a roof made of grass, is to be built in the heart of St James's Park, London.’
- ‘Hemp threads and hybrid cars aren't the only harbingers of eco-chic design.’
- ‘When buying homeware products, look for ones made from sustainable or re-used materials. Eco-chic is the next big thing!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.