One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or like an echo.
- ‘The Dolby Digital 1.0 mono sounds much better than the 2.0 faux stereo that carries an unwanted echoic effect.’
- ‘‘Dragonfly’ features the wistful accordion that characterized Amélie and scattered echoic guitars.’
- ‘Their voices are filtered to sound electronically echoic.’
- ‘Dialogue is always clear, at times, cavernous and echoic (merely how the show was recorded), and mixed very naturally and neutral.’
- ‘In addition, Wilson and Sperber also suggest that ironic, echoic utterances share many characteristics with indirect quotations.’
- ‘The thief pulled back his hand to smash the glass but heard any eerie echoic voice say,‘I wouldn't do that if I were you’.’
- ‘And at its best, its writing has the lyricism of Keats, the precision of Williams, or the echoic qualities of haiku.’
- ‘The ironic echoic utterances examined here convey, in their own unusual way, many of the common charges made against the late twelfth-century reformers and the Cistercian order in particular.’
- ‘Accordingly, when encountering an ironic text such as Map's, the reader must first recognize that an ironic utterance is an echoic interpretation (literal or nonliteral) of a preceding proposition.’
- ‘In this instance, the irony is only comprehensible when it is perceived as a contemptuous echoic interpretation of our God's words.’
- ‘He spoke, his voice melodic and echoic, ‘She's beautiful, Audrey, just like her mother.’’
- ‘Is this why Arun Kolatkar's verse is intense, stark, echoic, potent?’
- 1.1Linguistics Representing a sound by imitation; onomatopoeic.
imitative, unoriginal, uninventive, non-innovative, unimaginative, uninspiredView synonyms
- ‘With a little thought, one can make an astonishingly long list of imitative or echoic words.’
- ‘Like Standard English crick-crack, which represents a repeated sharp sound, the synonymous crickety-crick is echoic.’
- ‘There are a plethora of echoic sounds which pupils may brain storm and then use those selected to write poetry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.