Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test of the action of the heart using ultrasound waves to produce a visual display, used for the diagnosis or monitoring of heart disease.
- ‘Because of its risks, angiography often is done only after certain other heart tests have been performed, such as an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram or a stress test.’
- ‘You'll need several pre-surgery tests, often including chest X-rays, blood tests, an electrocardiogram and an echocardiogram.’
- ‘If a physician suspects hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, an echocardiogram confirms the diagnosis.’
- ‘He had had a coronary angiogram and many echocardiograms and electrocardiograms at various cardiac centres.’
- ‘Your child's cardiologist may use tools like X-rays, electrocardiograms, or echocardiograms to monitor the defect and the effects of treatment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.