One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American coneflower. It is used in herbal medicine, largely for its antibiotic and wound-healing properties.
Genus Echinacea, family Compositae: several species, in particular the purple coneflower
- ‘The antiviral echinacea and antibacterial goldenseal both stimulate the immune system.’
- ‘Other remedies include grindelia, combined with echinacea, calendula and white oak bark.’
- ‘This is because the ultimate effect of echinacea is as an anti-inflammatory.’
- ‘Both echinacea and goldenseal root have natural antibiotic activity and are extremely safe, when used as indicated on the label.’
- ‘Today, Americans arm themselves with an extract of the plant, known as echinacea, to ease the sting of colds and flu.’
- ‘For echinacea, the roots are most commonly used, but other parts of the plant can successfully provide active ingredients as well.’
- ‘Consider taking some goldenseal along with the echinacea.’
- ‘Lastly, echinacea, goldenseal and alfalfa may alleviate symptoms and promote healing.’
- ‘Protein powder in juice-based smoothies adds texture and nutrition, and a little echinacea in a citrus blend can help stop sniffles.’
- ‘Supplements of vitamin C, zinc or the herbal remedy echinacea are popular for treating and preventing colds.’
- ‘Some of these herbs included garlic, cranberry, echinacea, and ginseng.’
- ‘You might not think to tell your doctor about the echinacea you take to help fight off your colds, or the feverfew you use to prevent your migraines.’
- ‘You might see the new orange echinacea in nurseries this year.’
- ‘Other ingredients may include probiotics, digestive enzymes, garlic, echinacea and even ginkgo.’
- ‘This booklet explains how to grow, harvest and preserve echinacea.’
- ‘There was no detectable difference in cold duration or symptom severity between the echinacea and placebo groups.’
- ‘One of these is the Chinese herb, astragalus, an immune system tonic that becomes even more effective when you combine it with the herbal immune-booster, echinacea.’
- ‘Those who use herbs like echinacea are likely to use standard tinctures or pills.’
- ‘As the rest of the world learned about the healing properties of echinacea, demand for the herb increased.’
Modern Latin, from Greek ekhinos ‘hedgehog’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.