One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American coneflower. It is used in herbal medicine, largely for its antibiotic and wound-healing properties.
Genus Echinacea, family Compositae: several species, in particular the purple coneflower
- ‘There was no detectable difference in cold duration or symptom severity between the echinacea and placebo groups.’
- ‘Consider taking some goldenseal along with the echinacea.’
- ‘You might see the new orange echinacea in nurseries this year.’
- ‘Other remedies include grindelia, combined with echinacea, calendula and white oak bark.’
- ‘Some of these herbs included garlic, cranberry, echinacea, and ginseng.’
- ‘Protein powder in juice-based smoothies adds texture and nutrition, and a little echinacea in a citrus blend can help stop sniffles.’
- ‘The antiviral echinacea and antibacterial goldenseal both stimulate the immune system.’
- ‘Today, Americans arm themselves with an extract of the plant, known as echinacea, to ease the sting of colds and flu.’
- ‘Lastly, echinacea, goldenseal and alfalfa may alleviate symptoms and promote healing.’
- ‘Supplements of vitamin C, zinc or the herbal remedy echinacea are popular for treating and preventing colds.’
- ‘You might not think to tell your doctor about the echinacea you take to help fight off your colds, or the feverfew you use to prevent your migraines.’
- ‘Both echinacea and goldenseal root have natural antibiotic activity and are extremely safe, when used as indicated on the label.’
- ‘This booklet explains how to grow, harvest and preserve echinacea.’
- ‘Other ingredients may include probiotics, digestive enzymes, garlic, echinacea and even ginkgo.’
- ‘One of these is the Chinese herb, astragalus, an immune system tonic that becomes even more effective when you combine it with the herbal immune-booster, echinacea.’
- ‘Those who use herbs like echinacea are likely to use standard tinctures or pills.’
- ‘For echinacea, the roots are most commonly used, but other parts of the plant can successfully provide active ingredients as well.’
- ‘As the rest of the world learned about the healing properties of echinacea, demand for the herb increased.’
- ‘This is because the ultimate effect of echinacea is as an anti-inflammatory.’
Modern Latin, from Greek ekhinos ‘hedgehog’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.