Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A steroid hormone that controls molting in insects and other arthropods.
- ‘Larval molting in Drosophila, as in other insects, is initiated by the coordinated release of the steroid hormone ecdysone, in response to neural signals, at precise stages during development.’
- ‘Two hormones in particular drive these fundamental processes: ecdysone and juvenile hormone.’
- ‘A pulse of the steroid hormone ecdysone at the onset of metamorphosis triggers the rapid transformation of a flat leg imaginal disc into an immature adult leg, largely through coordinated changes in cell shape.’
- ‘This checkpoint may be controlled by signaling through the steroid hormone ecdysone.’
- ‘Consequently, both the onset and the termination of disc growth are determined by the joint action of ecdysone and juvenile hormone.’
1950s: from Greek ekdusis shedding + -one.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.