Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dilute form of perfume; toilet water.
perfume, fragrance, toilet water, lavender water, cologneView synonyms
- ‘For example, according to the table, eau de toilette is made with essential oil comprising 10 percent of the entire solution.’
- ‘The range includes body wash and deodorant in addition to eau de toilette.’
- ‘Despite the waning numbers of scent spritzers, there are plenty of guys and girls who won't leave home before dabbing a bit of eau de toilette in all the right spots.’
- ‘A successful perfume, aftershave or eau de toilette can work wonders for a fashion label's balance sheet, not to mention its international profile.’
- ‘Certainly in France it was thought better to rub the body with the highly scented alcohol-based fragrances that were the forerunners of modern eaux de toilette, scented powders, and perfumes.’
- ‘Many historic buildings in Moscow have become giant billboards advertising the latest eau de toilette.’
- ‘Smartly dressed and smelling of expensive eau de toilette, there didn't seem to be an axe concealed underneath his jacket.’
- ‘His fragrances are done in perfume, perfumed oil, eau de toilette, splash, and body products.’
- ‘This holiday season, as men tear open their holiday cologne gift sets or bottles of eau de toilette, I'd like to offer some words of wisdom.’
- ‘The vedette has partnered with cosmetics giant Coty in coming out with a collection of eau de toilette, body lotion and shower gel.’
- ‘Even in the corridors of lower league clubs where the smell of Deep Heat is stronger than any eau de toilette, footballers can be seen sporting Louis Vuitton wash bags.’
- ‘To his left, more remembered than seen, a long still mound of bed clothes smelling of eau de toilette marked his wife.’
- ‘Dabbing a little eau de toilette behind the ear is more of a girl thing - 76 percent do so, compared with 58 percent of men.’
- ‘In an ideal world, says Carol, men would use aftershave as well as eau de toilette, which is sprayed on the body in the way women wear perfume.’
- ‘Finish with a few spritzes of eau de toilette and a dab or two of perfume for long-lasting impact.’
- ‘Men 18 to 24 are 43 percent more likely to use cologne than all men, whereas men older than 65 are 53 percent less likely to dab a little eau de toilette behind their ears.’
- ‘Have a pair of cool sunglasses handy in case it heats up, and substitute your usual Jo Malone eau de toilette with the pungent aroma of midge repellent - whatever the weather, they will be guests at the shooting party.’
- ‘This alcohol-free eau de toilette is made entirely of natural ingredients, making it perfect for the most sensitive skins.’
- ‘The colourful packaging, all purples and pinks, should appeal to your magpie tendencies, while the actual products - eau de toilette, bath crystals and more - will not disappoint.’
- ‘The firm uses the lavender to produce a range of products such as body cream, bath foam, shower gel, bath crystals, eau de toilette and candles.’
Early 20th century: French, literally toilet water.
eau de toilette/ˌō də twäˈlet/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.