One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brandy.‘the cheese is marinated in eau-de-vie’
- ‘One is spoilt for choice with cognacs such as Armagnac and Calvados, as well as various eaux de vie to digest a hearty meal.’
- ‘And even there we were treated to a new drinking experience - prune cocktail, prepared using prune eau de vie, sparkling wine and a single prune sitting and fizzing away at the bottom of the glass.’
- ‘There are half a dozen different eaux de vie, grappas, Calvados, Armagnacs, as well as a comprehensive beer and wine list.’
- ‘Piercing whiffs of eau de vie de Poire William and smoked almonds hide none of the intoxicating spiciness on the palate before thankfully taking on more pleasant flavours of oaked tropical fruits and another rush of spice.’
- ‘Keep warm and add the plum eau de vie just before serving.’
From French eau-de-vie, literally ‘water of life’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.