Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fit to be consumed as food.‘eatable fruits’
edible, palatable, digestibleView synonyms
- ‘The only eatable substances left were Joel's spices, that were great when you had food to go along with them.’
- ‘We made rolls out of the grains and wrapped them in the eatable parts of the skunk cabbage we gathered.’
- ‘Several of the men left early to hunt, and the remainder of them shared bits of eatable fruits and beans found in the wild.’
- ‘Fumbwa, another typical Congolese dish, is mainly prepared with a popular variety of eatable leafy vegetable that grows wild in the forest over there.’
- ‘We're running out of arable land, drinkable water, eatable fish.’
Items of food.‘parcels of eatables and gifts’
nourishment, sustenance, nutriment, subsistence, fare, bread, daily breadView synonyms
- ‘On Sunday night we actually received a scoop of ice cream with our eatables.’
- ‘A unit to produce eatables out of discarded meats and other byproducts is also planned to be established, the official said.’
- ‘What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without?’
- ‘Collectively, the eatables of nations have a great hand in giving their people their uniqueness.’
- ‘The tribal children were provided dresses, shoes, pen, pencils and eatables.’
- ‘I have seen lots of plays in the villages, where eatables are supplied to the audience.’
- ‘There was an altercation between the activists and a few hawkers who were selling eatables on the issue of payment.’
- ‘People, who managed to come out of the area, have reported that there is an acute shortage of potable water and eatables.’
- ‘At every point we would come across a boat vendor selling some eatables, they would purchase something for me to eat.’
- ‘He would be showered with money, eatables and gifts after which he would be brought back home for circumcision in the presence of a big gathering.’
- ‘Some three to four years ago, a visitor to the zoo could very easily carry water bottles and eatables in plastic carry-bags inside.’
- ‘Likewise, eatables with low calorie content such as wheat bread, diet rusk, fruits with low sugar content, and vegetables controlling sugar in the body were displayed.’
- ‘Per the guards instructions, I removed the remaining eatables from my three property boxes.’
- ‘They throw eatables, use sticks to tease them, and shout at the animals or even throw stones at them.’
- ‘The crowd swelled as the day progressed, to the great pleasure of hawkers selling eatables and tea.’
- ‘Foods and eatables should be covered and properly cooked before eating.’
- ‘In the latter part of this plan she was, of course, following God's final instructions to Noah; ‘For your part provide yourself with eatables of all kinds and lay in a store of them, to serve as food for yourself.’’
- ‘Like any other college canteen, this shop has eatables and stationery articles required by the students.’
- ‘Those with children had to face a lot of problems to arrange eatables.’
- ‘A bedecked Christmas tree and stalls selling eatables added to the ambience.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.