Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The most important and oldest festival of the Christian Church, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ and held (in the Western Church) between March 21 and April 25, on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the northern spring equinox.
- ‘May the peace we can all know in Christ be yours this Easter and may the feet of God always walk with you.’
- ‘The date of the spring equinox determines the date of Easter so the church began to press for reform.’
- ‘Two Easters are celebrated in Lebanon (both in late March or early April) - the Greek Orthodox date, and the date for the rest of the Christian population.’
- ‘We celebrated Easter, and I was in charge of distributing the gifts Mama had made.’
- ‘He also believes that the glorious festival of Easter declares the joyful truth.’
- 1.1The period in which Easter occurs, especially the weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday.
- ‘Eastgate promotions manager Mike Horton said: ‘This will be one of the most active Easters ever in terms of family entertainment at Eastgate.’’
- ‘We are normally fully booked for Easter and the weekends in March are also very busy.’
- ‘The leader of the remnant of the Conservatives is to climb each peak on successive days over Easter.’
- ‘In case you didn't know I am planning on going to Northern Spain at Easter to do some caving in Matienzo.’
- ‘It commences over the two weeks of Easter and then again during the summer holidays.’
Old English ēastre; of Germanic origin and related to German Ostern and east. According to Bede the word is derived from Ēastre, the name of a goddess associated with spring.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.