One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The glow caused by sunlight reflected off the earth, especially on the darker portion of a crescent moon.
- ‘The new telescope will also allow Goode and his staff to continue their ground-breaking research about earthshine.’
- ‘The measurements of albedo from earthlight for the most part sense the reflectivity of low-latitude zones because the Moon is situated roughly in the Earth's equatorial plane.’
- ‘Traditional folklore refers to this as the ‘Old Moon in the New Moon's arms ’, a phenomenon created by earthshine - the reflection of light from the Earth back onto the surface of the Moon.’
- ‘They also felt that operating under earthshine or lunar noon were feasible, as long as thermal conditions were understood.’
- ‘His most recent project involves ‘earthshine’ a phenomenon that allows the state of the earth's climate to be monitored by the brightness of sunlight reflected off the earth onto the dark part of the lunar disk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.