One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vehicle or machine designed to excavate large quantities of soil.
- ‘The contractors have been hired, the designs are being finalised, and the earth movers are ready to roll in at the end of the month.’
- ‘When the firm started the project in May last year, it ripped up the footpath so its lorries and earth movers could move around the site.’
- ‘There's just a wonderful sense of elation now that it's actually happening, the big earth movers are out there, it's just wonderful.’
- ‘To the west are half-built houses and idle earth movers.’
- ‘By the mid-'80s, the mountains just north of Los Angeles where the Steel Challenge had always been held were falling prey to the bulldozers and earth movers of housing developers.’
- ‘Did you see what the earth mover did to manipulate the ground?’
- ‘The earth movers are towering, terrifying machines, bigger than most of the concrete shanty houses they were sent in to destroy.’
- ‘We'll move our bulldozers, motor graders and earth movers to the spot within a week to start cleaning the 40-50 km basin area, " Brig.’
- ‘Construction has begun, and residents would have noticed a large sandy scar and earth movers at the entrance to the mansion, on Oxford Road.’
- ‘Almost every boy has dreamt of driving a bulldozer or operating a big crane or pressing the pedal to the metal of an earth mover the size of a house.’
- ‘On Tuesday morning when I passed the spot on the other side of the carriageway I saw an earth mover and a gang at work to restore the caved in road and fill up the potholes.’
- ‘Despite the yellow earth movers, the leveling and raising and moving and building, she stayed.’
- ‘The boom in mining around the world has boosted the company's exports of its gargantuan trucks and earth movers.’
- ‘New machinery dug, drilled, pumped, and clawed underground, and many mines began using large-scale earth movers to strip the hillsides above the mine seams.’
- ‘They've got a whole lot of earth movers here and they're just gently digging away at the edges of that pile of rubble.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.