Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A radio station located on the earth and used for relaying signals from satellites.
- ‘A standard international earth station and an international switching centre make for clear connections and direct dialling facilities to more than 228 countries.’
- ‘Although this proved to be a challenge, we eventually were able to get a very small aperture terminal, which is a small earth station for satellite transmission.’
- ‘It's why they're sowing their systems with digital set-top boxes and high-speed modems, as they did two and three decades ago with new amplifiers, earth stations and converters.’
- ‘The Globalstar satellites have been in operation since October 1999, providing global voice and data communications to portable, mobile and fixed satellite earth stations.’
- ‘The two said that Telecel Zambia has since 1998 been pressing for authority to install its own earth station to enhance the delivery system via satellite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.