One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of jewelry worn on the lobe or edge of the ear.
- ‘He has a row of earrings going up his left lobe and three tiny little eyebrow piercings.’
- ‘He had silver earrings, three in each lobe and two studs in the top part of his right ear.’
- ‘Her dark hair was swept back in a clasp and long silver earrings brushed against her neck.’
- ‘He had a lip ring and eyebrow ring, and an earring in each ear.’
- ‘I took silver angel earrings from my desk and leaned closer to the mirror to put them on.’
- ‘She had pierced ears but wore neither studs nor earrings and there was no jewellery.’
- ‘She curled her hair into soft waves and put on the white gold earrings her father had given her.’
- ‘In the painting I am wearing a turquoise sari and some gold and ruby earrings with a necklace and a few bangles.’
- ‘One Mexican family was setting up a booth filled with beaded necklaces and earrings.’
- ‘Her wedding ring and plain gold earrings are her only jewellery, plus a few red beads and tight bangles on one wrist.’
- ‘She had on silver hoop earrings and a silver necklace, and lastly she put on perfume.’
- ‘She tried to put the earrings back, but the crowd had pulled her away from the booth.’
- ‘She wears a neat suit with some understated earrings and an antique silver bracelet.’
- ‘She was carrying a small black bag and wearing large silver hoop earrings and a rope bracelet.’
- ‘From her ears now hung two earrings with stylized garnet hearts at the bottom of them.’
- ‘She was approached by men armed with knives, who demanded her earrings and necklace.’
- ‘She hung long, pearl earrings in her ears, and fastened a pearl bracelet around her wrist.’
- ‘He put the cloak back on me, and as I pulled the hood up, the edge caught my earring, and tugged it away.’
- ‘She had big red and black earrings on and a pink flower hair clip in her hair too.’
- ‘Alicia returned her attentions to the mirror and slipped her favourite pearl drop earrings into her lobes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.