One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A piece of wax, rubber, or cotton placed in the ear as protection against noise or water.
- ‘Put petroleum jelly on pieces of cotton to use as earplugs for swimming or showering.’
- ‘During races at the California Speedway, when many fans wear earplugs to muffle the sound of the cars screaming around the track, the noise filters into surrounding neighborhoods.’
- ‘Wear earplugs and an eye mask if your sleep environment is too noisy or too bright.’
- ‘If noise is a problem, use a fan to cover the noise or use earplugs.’
- ‘Perhaps the best protection when forced to remain in an excessively noisy environment is to wear earplugs to reduce the sound assault upon the ear.’
- ‘There was no use talking anymore, even without the earplugs, conversation would've been impossible over the scream of the electric guitar.’
- ‘He had inserted earplugs to soften the noise of his daughter, he said, but these served only to damage his middle ear and his balance.’
- ‘And yes, it's true that I've taken to wearing earplugs during the pipe band's practice sessions.’
- ‘They give you earplugs, but the noise is very loud and very pervasive.’
- ‘When washing the child's hair, use earplugs to stop soapy water getting into the child's ears.’
- ‘You should always use earmuffs or properly fitted earplugs to reduce the noise getting into your inner ear.’
- ‘Surfers are then advised to protect their ears from further exposure to water by wearing earplugs, using a neoprene hood or wearing a helmet.’
- ‘And to make his hearing loss look realistic, he wore earplugs throughout the five-week shoot in Spain.’
- ‘Is it ethical to ignore the commercials, or close your eyes and wear earplugs when they're playing?’
- ‘If the noise level rises above that point, hearing protection, earplugs or a similar device, would be required.’
- ‘The speakers are also big on options, but before delving into technical specifics, let's just say that your neighbors better get out their earplugs.’
- ‘It's too hot to wear earplugs, and unbearably uncomfortable if your entire body is covered by the sarong, including your head.’
- ‘The blasts were so common, and so loud, that she started wearing earplugs.’
- ‘In pursuit of answers to these puzzling questions, I donned shin pads and earplugs then visited a local chihuahua show.’
- ‘Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.’
2historical An ornament worn in the lobe of the ear.
- ‘In the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt a type of earring called an earplug became fashionable and these fitted snugly into a wide stretched hole in the earlobe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.