One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electrical device worn on the ear to receive radio or telephone communications or to listen to a radio, MP3 player, etc., without other people hearing.
- ‘When you listen to music with earphones, it allows you to hear the words more clearly.’
- ‘After take off she pulled on her earphones and listened to her Walkman and read your book for the entire flight.’
- ‘When he had completed his packing, Ian lolled in his striped pyjamas on the bed listening to hospital radio through a pair of battered earphones.’
- ‘So he hid a set in a false cast on his arm and used the earphone to listen to answers from friends standing outside.’
- ‘Some states in the US have already outlawed the use of any kind of earphones and listening devices while driving or riding a bicycle.’
- ‘He had totally forgotten about the radio earphone, and the voice shocked him.’
- ‘The music pouring from the earphones is loud; we listen in, though we cannot make out the lyrics.’
- ‘Like the defendants many will have to listen to the proceedings in translation through earphones.’
- ‘Through a good pair of earphones, I could not believe that this was radio.’
- ‘Fans are given small radios with earphones so they can listen to the ESPN commentary.’
- ‘The unit crackled minutely and a faint voice answered, heard only in Matthew's earphones.’
- ‘These day's bookmakers tend to use radio communication and earphones to keep things secret, so it's becoming a dying art.’
- ‘Sound from the incoming call is sent to both earphones which feels strange for a phone call.’
- ‘The participants were given a radio set with earphones and frequencies set for each language.’
- ‘Playback itself is fine, though I found the bundle earphones were a little muted in the higher frequencies.’
- ‘The output was recorded on a stereo tape recorder, and they listened in with earphones.’
- ‘A pair of earphones made it possible to listen to high quality music at any place and at any time, without disturbing others.’
- ‘She sorted through her wallet, phone, and earphones until she came across a piece of crumpled paper.’
- ‘The sound of the dots and dashes of the radio range in my earphones, and the instrument panel was my whole world.’
- ‘Silence is observed and any music you bring should be listened to through earphones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.