One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electrical device worn on the ear to receive radio or telephone communications or to listen to a radio, MP3 player, etc., without other people hearing.
- ‘Through a good pair of earphones, I could not believe that this was radio.’
- ‘When he had completed his packing, Ian lolled in his striped pyjamas on the bed listening to hospital radio through a pair of battered earphones.’
- ‘The sound of the dots and dashes of the radio range in my earphones, and the instrument panel was my whole world.’
- ‘A pair of earphones made it possible to listen to high quality music at any place and at any time, without disturbing others.’
- ‘Some states in the US have already outlawed the use of any kind of earphones and listening devices while driving or riding a bicycle.’
- ‘So he hid a set in a false cast on his arm and used the earphone to listen to answers from friends standing outside.’
- ‘These day's bookmakers tend to use radio communication and earphones to keep things secret, so it's becoming a dying art.’
- ‘After take off she pulled on her earphones and listened to her Walkman and read your book for the entire flight.’
- ‘He had totally forgotten about the radio earphone, and the voice shocked him.’
- ‘Like the defendants many will have to listen to the proceedings in translation through earphones.’
- ‘Sound from the incoming call is sent to both earphones which feels strange for a phone call.’
- ‘Playback itself is fine, though I found the bundle earphones were a little muted in the higher frequencies.’
- ‘Silence is observed and any music you bring should be listened to through earphones.’
- ‘The output was recorded on a stereo tape recorder, and they listened in with earphones.’
- ‘She sorted through her wallet, phone, and earphones until she came across a piece of crumpled paper.’
- ‘The unit crackled minutely and a faint voice answered, heard only in Matthew's earphones.’
- ‘The music pouring from the earphones is loud; we listen in, though we cannot make out the lyrics.’
- ‘The participants were given a radio set with earphones and frequencies set for each language.’
- ‘Fans are given small radios with earphones so they can listen to the ESPN commentary.’
- ‘When you listen to music with earphones, it allows you to hear the words more clearly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.