One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statistic used to measure a pitcher's effectiveness, obtained by calculating the average number of earned runs scored against the pitcher in every nine innings pitched.
- ‘Pitching categories are wins, saves, earned run average and a complicated ratio measuring strikeouts as opposed to hits, which I can never get straight.’
- ‘With earned run averages shooting skyward, pitchers will be delighted if plate umpires give them the high strike this season.’
- ‘Radke is a proven commodity, but after compiling a 116-110 record with a 4.32 earned run average in nine seasons, he'd hardly be the number one starter on many contending teams.’
- ‘Whether by batting average, earned run average or wins and losses, baseball's numbers tell us who's hot and who's not.’
- ‘He won 21 and lost nine in that sensational 1968 season, while leading the league with an earned run average of 1.60 and in shutouts with nine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.