One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statistic used to measure a pitcher's effectiveness, obtained by calculating the average number of earned runs scored against the pitcher in every nine innings pitched.
- ‘He won 21 and lost nine in that sensational 1968 season, while leading the league with an earned run average of 1.60 and in shutouts with nine.’
- ‘Radke is a proven commodity, but after compiling a 116-110 record with a 4.32 earned run average in nine seasons, he'd hardly be the number one starter on many contending teams.’
- ‘With earned run averages shooting skyward, pitchers will be delighted if plate umpires give them the high strike this season.’
- ‘Whether by batting average, earned run average or wins and losses, baseball's numbers tell us who's hot and who's not.’
- ‘Pitching categories are wins, saves, earned run average and a complicated ratio measuring strikeouts as opposed to hits, which I can never get straight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.