Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A statistic used to measure a pitcher's effectiveness, obtained by calculating the average number of earned runs scored against the pitcher in every nine innings pitched.
- ‘Whether by batting average, earned run average or wins and losses, baseball's numbers tell us who's hot and who's not.’
- ‘With earned run averages shooting skyward, pitchers will be delighted if plate umpires give them the high strike this season.’
- ‘Radke is a proven commodity, but after compiling a 116-110 record with a 4.32 earned run average in nine seasons, he'd hardly be the number one starter on many contending teams.’
- ‘Pitching categories are wins, saves, earned run average and a complicated ratio measuring strikeouts as opposed to hits, which I can never get straight.’
- ‘He won 21 and lost nine in that sensational 1968 season, while leading the league with an earned run average of 1.60 and in shutouts with nine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.