One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A run scored without the aid of errors by the team in the field (i.e. by hits, walks, and outs that advance base runners).
- ‘In a strange twist, Morris, who had pitched so brilliantly the year before, was roughed up for ten earned runs in 10.2 innings while pitching for Toronto.’
- ‘Personally, I tend to favor pitchers who throw more innings with fewer hits, earned runs, and home runs allowed while also striking out more batters.’
- ‘In his fourth start of the season last night, Weaver pitched five innings with no earned runs, allowing two hits and no walks against seven strikeouts.’
- ‘He began the season with a twelve strikeout masterpiece, and only allowed four earned runs in his first four starts, spanning 27.1 innings.’
- ‘The A's had nine hits off the 20-year-old in only three innings, as Kazmir allowed five earned runs while striking out only two.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.