Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A run scored without the aid of errors by the team in the field (i.e., by hits, walks, and outs that advance base runners)
- ‘In a strange twist, Morris, who had pitched so brilliantly the year before, was roughed up for ten earned runs in 10.2 innings while pitching for Toronto.’
- ‘Personally, I tend to favor pitchers who throw more innings with fewer hits, earned runs, and home runs allowed while also striking out more batters.’
- ‘He began the season with a twelve strikeout masterpiece, and only allowed four earned runs in his first four starts, spanning 27.1 innings.’
- ‘In his fourth start of the season last night, Weaver pitched five innings with no earned runs, allowing two hits and no walks against seven strikeouts.’
- ‘The A's had nine hits off the 20-year-old in only three innings, as Kazmir allowed five earned runs while striking out only two.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.