Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pair of soft fabric coverings, connected by a band across the top of the head, that are worn over the ears to protect them from cold or noise.
- ‘Each of the girls, as well as Ethan, wore their thickest coats and warmest mittens, as well as scarves and hats and earmuffs.’
- ‘Sarah picked up a pair of black earmuffs and placed them over her ears and slipped on a pair of black leather gloves as Alli started the target machine.’
- ‘She was wearing a large brown coat that went all the way down to here ankles and a pair of large earmuffs.’
- ‘Katelyn stood out in the snow, bundled up in her scarf, coat, sweater, and earmuffs.’
- ‘However, when exposure is unavoidable, use earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears from most common noise sources.’
- ‘Even if they portray the latest style or texture, earmuffs are just completely out of style.’
- ‘Gordon said for headgear the team members will probably wear headbands, earmuffs and caps in the place of traditional nassait.’
- ‘She dressed in her winter warmest: black peacoat, warm scarf, mittens, earmuffs, and three layers of socks.’
- ‘Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.’
- ‘Hearing protection devices, like earplugs, earmuffs and canal caps, are sold in drugstores and hardware stores.’
- ‘With two sweaters, three turtlenecks, earmuffs and a scarf, I had everything I needed for a wonderful European vacation.’
- ‘The boys ran through the hallways, wrapped in pea coats and scarves, mittens and earmuffs.’
- ‘I took off my earmuffs and protective glasses, tossing them on a nearby chair.’
- ‘Billy noticed that there was no longer any noise, and took the earmuffs off.’
- ‘Even with the earmuffs on, the noise was deafening.’
- ‘A good set of earmuffs can reduce noise as much as plugs can, he says.’
- ‘By 1997 the pair had sold more than 600,000 earmuffs on the home-shopping network.’
- ‘The company offers amber shooting glasses, folding earmuffs, and padded headband earmuffs.’
- ‘As for the night, you better have a good pair of earmuffs if you want to get a nice sleep down in downtown.’
- ‘A warm, waterproof ski coat or parka is essential, as well as hats, waterproof gloves, socks, pants and earmuffs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.