One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of soft fabric coverings, connected by a band across the top of the head, that are worn over the ears to protect them from cold or noise.
- ‘As for the night, you better have a good pair of earmuffs if you want to get a nice sleep down in downtown.’
- ‘A good set of earmuffs can reduce noise as much as plugs can, he says.’
- ‘She was wearing a large brown coat that went all the way down to here ankles and a pair of large earmuffs.’
- ‘The boys ran through the hallways, wrapped in pea coats and scarves, mittens and earmuffs.’
- ‘Each of the girls, as well as Ethan, wore their thickest coats and warmest mittens, as well as scarves and hats and earmuffs.’
- ‘The company offers amber shooting glasses, folding earmuffs, and padded headband earmuffs.’
- ‘With two sweaters, three turtlenecks, earmuffs and a scarf, I had everything I needed for a wonderful European vacation.’
- ‘By 1997 the pair had sold more than 600,000 earmuffs on the home-shopping network.’
- ‘Gordon said for headgear the team members will probably wear headbands, earmuffs and caps in the place of traditional nassait.’
- ‘Even with the earmuffs on, the noise was deafening.’
- ‘Sarah picked up a pair of black earmuffs and placed them over her ears and slipped on a pair of black leather gloves as Alli started the target machine.’
- ‘Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.’
- ‘I took off my earmuffs and protective glasses, tossing them on a nearby chair.’
- ‘Billy noticed that there was no longer any noise, and took the earmuffs off.’
- ‘Hearing protection devices, like earplugs, earmuffs and canal caps, are sold in drugstores and hardware stores.’
- ‘However, when exposure is unavoidable, use earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears from most common noise sources.’
- ‘She dressed in her winter warmest: black peacoat, warm scarf, mittens, earmuffs, and three layers of socks.’
- ‘A warm, waterproof ski coat or parka is essential, as well as hats, waterproof gloves, socks, pants and earmuffs.’
- ‘Even if they portray the latest style or texture, earmuffs are just completely out of style.’
- ‘Katelyn stood out in the snow, bundled up in her scarf, coat, sweater, and earmuffs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.